What You Need to Know Before Asking Your Partner to Move With You in the UK

Relationships are a wonderful thing, knowing that someone is always there for you no matter what. But what if that special one lives miles away? You will definitely do whatever it takes to bring your partner next to you. This is the exact reason why spouse visas are made, to allow your partner/spouse to move to the United Kingdom with you, because you either are a British citizen, or you have Indefinite Leave to Remain. But, before asking the question, you must know these basic things about bringing your partner to the United Kingdom.

1. Requirements on Spouse Visa

Before bringing your partner to the UK, you both must fulfil some requirements needed to obtain the spouse visa. You should know them in order to be sure you have everything you need to obtain the visa. You and your partner must be over 18 and, you must be a British citizen or have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom or, you settle in the UK on an asylum or humanitarian protection. Also, your relationship with your partner must be genuine because, after all, you have to live permanently together after the application. The relationship must be recognized in the United Kingdom (provide evidence with the certificate of marriage). If you are not married, then you should be able to prove the history with your partner with the evidence of having lived together for more then two years. Regarding the matter of living together, you will also need to have a suitable accommodation for you and your partner. If you are engaged, you must prove that you have plans on marrying within 6 months after your partner arrived. And last, your partner must satisfy the language requirements. If you know you are able to prove all that was written above, then you are on the right way. There are just other issues you have to check before you will be truly prepared.

2. Check How Much You Need to be Earning

You are exempt from this condition if you have a refugee status or humanitarian protection. If not, then you will have to meet some financial requirements. For bringing your partner, you will need to earn £18,600 per year before tax, if the partner comes with a child, you will have to earn £22,400 and, for each additional child, you have to add £2,400.

3. How Much the Visa Will Last

The spouse visa lasts 33 months if you bring your wife, husband or civil partner, and they can renew their visa for another 2 years and 6 months. After 5 years of living in the United Kingdom, they can apply for indefinite leave to remain, and settle there. If the one you bring is your fiancé, then the visa will last only 6 months, in which your partner can apply for further leave as a spouse.

4. The Application

Your partner can apply for this visa from within the UK or overseas. Because getting all the documents for your case is complex, it is highly recommended to use the services of immigration experts, such as WM Immigration. They can provide further information about what you need to know in order to obtain a spouse visa for your partner and answer any questions you may have regarding this matter. They can also help you go through all the process, as you will need the following documents: passport, affidavit of support, civil documents (for the applicant) and completed medical examination forms. All this documentation will have to be sorted, chronologically and in a clear way, so your case will have higher chances of being approved.
You should know that the average processing time for this type of visa application is from 2 to 12 weeks from the date your partner summits it to the UKBA. The process may also depend on the country where the application is made.